Yes,  Thanks Richard
************************
By the way...Rich Woods...Tektronics (Richard Payne's company) also makes fiber
optic power meters.   Sorry that I forgot to mention them in my reply earlier
today.  Yes, they're a competitor of ours; but their compliance guy is nice
enough to answer my questions :-)
**************************
Now back to the issue at hand.

That's what I was looking for (the statement in paragraph 6.7 of EN 61010-1)
The copy that I have has the amendments separate.      I found it in Amendment
2 as you stated.

To me, it's sort of funny in that it just says that the Creepage and Clearance
distances do not apply on inner layers of void free PCBs.   That's nice; but I
can't find where a distance is specified.  I mean, I would think that there
should be some minimum distance between an AC line and a 5V SELV line on an
inner layer of the board!!!!

Our layout guy has a military specification that specifies insulation for
300-500V circuits.  It specifies .100" on external layers and .010" on internal
layers...which would work out to a factor of 10 reduction between surface
layers and inner layers.

Using that same reasoning, I was looking at a circuit that needs 8mm of
creepage on a surface layer (.314").   Would I be "safe" in allowing 0.8mm
(0.0314") of distance on an inner layer?

Anybody have any thoughts on this one.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |