In a message dated 9/19/2002, you write:

> So far,  I've taken a large resistive load and measured the voltage drop on
> the AC line.  From that I calculated the total impedance of the AC line.
> However, as you may suspect, with a resistive load, the power factor is
> 1.0.
> So I can't vectorly, calculate the resistive and inductive components.

Hi Dave:

I am not familiar with the specific measurement you are trying to make, so
the following may not be applicable to your situation.  However, some of the
basic concepts may be useful.

In the telecom business it is sometimes necessary to know the complex
impedance presented by a 2-wire port.  In theory, if you drive the port with
a voltage source applied through a known resistance, you can calculate the
complex impedance of the port based on measurements of the following two
things:

1) The voltage drop across the source resistor
2) The phase of the current through the resistor, relative to the phase of
the source

I designed a simple fixture to measure the voltage and phase, then derived
the necessary equations and created a spreadsheet to calculate the complex
impedance.

Soon after completing my measurements this way, I got a good price on a used
test instrument that makes this measurement directly.  I was very pleased to
find that the values measured by the test instrument matched my calculated
values almost exactly.  This gave me good confidence in my earlier test
method, even though I no longer need to use it.

It might be possible for you to adapt this method for the test you want to
make.  If so, I would be happy to send you a copy of the equations and a copy
of the spreadsheet I used.  Since this was developed internally for my own
use, the notes are a little sketchy, but I think I could fill in the gaps
with a telephone conversation.

While I am not familiar with the details of the test you are trying to
perform, I can see that one possible complication would occur if the test is
supposed to be performed under a specified load condition.  In that case, you
would have to find a way to ensure that the AC impedance of your load does
not affect the measured impedance of the mains.  I think there are ways to
accomplish this either with a test fixture or by making the spreadsheet
calculations take the load impedance into account.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848
http://www.randolph-telecom.com

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/19/2002,
you write:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">So far,&nbsp; I've taken a large
resistive load and measured the voltage drop on<BR>
the AC line.&nbsp; From that I calculated the total impedance of the AC
line.<BR>
However, as you may suspect, with a resistive load, the power factor is 1.0.<BR>
So I can't vectorly, calculate the resistive and inductive components.&nbsp;
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Hi Dave:<BR>
<BR>
I am not familiar with the specific measurement you are trying to make, so the
following may not be applicable to your situation.&nbsp; However, some of the
basic concepts may be useful.<BR>
<BR>
In the telecom business it is sometimes necessary to know the complex impedance
presented by a 2-wire port.&nbsp; In theory, if you drive the port with a
voltage source applied through a known resistance, you can calculate the
complex impedance of the port based on measurements of the following two
things:<BR>
<BR>
1) The voltage drop across the source resistor<BR>
2) The phase of the current through the resistor, relative to the phase of the
source<BR>
<BR>
I designed a simple fixture to measure the voltage and phase, then derived the
necessary equations and created a spreadsheet to calculate the complex
impedance.<BR>
<BR>
Soon after completing my measurements this way, I got a good price on a used
test instrument that makes this measurement directly.&nbsp; I was very pleased
to find that the values measured by the test instrument matched my calculated
values almost exactly.&nbsp; This gave me good confidence in my earlier test
method, even though I no longer need to use it.<BR>
<BR>
It might be possible for you to adapt this method for the test you want to
make.&nbsp; If so, I would be happy to send you a copy of the equations and a
copy of the spreadsheet I used.&nbsp; Since this was developed internally for
my own use, the notes are a little sketchy, but I think I could fill in the
gaps with a telephone conversation.<BR>
<BR>
While I am not familiar with the details of the test you are trying to perform,
I can see that one possible complication would occur if the test is supposed to
be performed under a specified load condition.&nbsp; In that case, you would
have to find a way to ensure that the AC impedance of your load does not affect
the measured impedance of the mains.&nbsp; I think there are ways to accomplish
this either with a test fixture or by making the spreadsheet calculations take
the load impedance into account.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Joe Randolph<BR>