It occurs to me that many folks are not aware that there are many
different "TUV" agencies authorized to issue the German GS certificate.
In other words, not all agencies with "TUV" in their title have the
same country laboratory recognition.

The Standards Council of Canada lists TUV Rheinland of North America
one of several accepted alternatives to CSA for specific products and
standards.  No other "TUV" agencies are listed.  OSHA (U. S.) lists
TUV America Inc. (TUVAM), TUV Rhienland of North America (TUV), and
TUV Product Services GmbH (TUVPSG) as NRTLs.  But only the last two
are authorized for testing to UL 1950 (now UL 60950).

BTW, there are many other "TUV" agencies authorized by the German
government which are less commonly known outside of Europe.

I confess that I've never taken the time to know the meaning of the
German words on which "TUV" is based.  I am sure there are many out
there who know.  While we are at it, what is the translation of the
"GS", i,e, geprufte sicherheit. I have been told it meant "proven
safety"?

George Alspaugh