Most earth potential differences come from load currents. Leakage
currents don't usually add up to very much. Electrical installations
should have one neutral to earth connection at the source of the system
(at the transformer or service entry). However many electrical
installations have branch panels with earth and neutral incorrectly
connected together at the panel. This means the neutral and earth paths
are parallel returns to the source. The IR drop generates potential
differences between different building areas. These stray currents can
amount to tens or hundreds of amps in big installations. Occasionally
these same currents come from miswired plugs or receptacles with neutral
and earth switched.
To look for stray currents, put a clamp on ammeter around all mains
conductors together (phases and neutral). Often they will show up even
with the meter around the conduit. The resulting voltage differences in
grounds typically amount to 2 to 5 volts. It depends on load currents,
neutral resistance, ground resistance, current paths, etc. Transients
and noise of course include all those present on the load currents.
In residential applications where several services, each with their own
ground, are fed from a single transformer (also with its neutral
grounded). Several amps typically flow in the parallel earth connections
between houses, but this is irrelevant. The important thing to achieve
is an equipotential earth environment around the particular house
involved.

Bob Johnson
ITE Safety