Greetings all,

I have become involved in a discussion regarding potential ground voltage
differences between opposite ends of long network lines in industrial
locations.  As I understand it these differences are the reason for some
network types floating cable shields or connecting them through snubbing
networks to chassis instead  of connecting directly.

In the past I have simply accepted this explanation however I am becoming
less comfortable with just accepting it.  Can someone provide me with or
point me to where I can obtain information on this subject?  I am interested
to know what the actual magnitude of ground differences may be from one end
of a plant to another as well as where the numbers come from.  Have they
been calculated or actually measured? If shields are connected directly to
chassis at each node of a network will there be an effect of equalizing the
ground levels through the network or will enough current flow to melt the
shield of the cable?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jeff Bailey
Compliance Engineering