As you mention, there can be common mode to differential mode conversion at the
service entrance since safety ground and neutral are tied together at that
point. This will come right through the transformer to some extent. But you did
mention that the transformer has a capacitor and MOV from line to neutral. These
along with the leakage inductance of the transformer will provide filtering and
limiting, thus transient reduction, but really no more than same capacitor and
MOV and a series inductor would provide.

The transformer does not address ground bounce, but that is a whole subject in
inself. If everything around the device plugged into the transformer is also
bouncing the same amount, then you have a system that looks like a bunch of
devices in a Faraday cage, and there is little problem, except for the currents
to ground via the distributed capacitance to earth ground of the various
devices. Problems usually occur when you have a number of devices referenced to
different grounds at different potentials during a disturbance.

Note that if you have a ground strike that raises the local earth potential at
the service entrance, it will raise the potential of the AC pair as well because
neutral and safety ground are tied together at the service entrance.

The long and the short is that the transformer can help for only a limited
problem (common mode noise).

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA