In a message dated 8/30/2002, Don Borowski writes:

> But there is common mode supression (hot and neutral against safety ground)
> offered by the transformer, assuming that the capacitive coupling between
> the
> primary and secondary is minimal.
>
> ...There is one effect of a long run of bundled conductors - the
> disturbance (at
> least at frequencies above several hundred kHz) becomes a floating source
> at the
> power outlet end. The transformer will break the common mode current loop.

Hi Don:

Your explanation makes sense if we focus on high frequency common mode
disturbances where the inductance of the ground wire is significant enough to
make a difference.  In this case, having the ground wire tied to one side of
the AC at the service entrance does not ensure that these two wires are at
the same instantaneous potential at the AC outlet on the other end of a long
wire.

At low frequencies, it does not appear that the isolation transformer
provides any benefit for common mode noise.

Regarding my surge scenario that Bob Johnson commented on, it seems that this
type of isolation transformer provides only limited protection from lightning
surges.  Common mode surges coming in to the service entrance will be
converted to differential surges when one side is tied to local earth, and
these differential surges will sail right through the transformer (subject to
its frequency response transfer function).

On the other hand, ground strikes that raise the local earth potential at the
service entrance will not be passed through on the AC pair, but they will
come right through on the ground wire.  While this is different from what
would happen without the isolation transformer, I'm not sure it provides any
added protection.

In summary, it sounds as though this type of isolation transformer is
primarily intended to attenuate high frequency common mode noise.  Is this
correct, or have I missed something?

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.