In a message dated 8/30/2002, Chris Maxwell writes:

> Most "isolation" transformers have a non-magnetic, metal shield between the
> primary and secondary.  The shield does not appreciably degrade the
> transformer's magnetic coupling at 60Hz; however, it does attenuate the
> high frequency differential noise passed from primary to secondary.

Hi Chris:

Thanks for your response.  This transformer does indeed have a grounded
shield between the primary and secondary.  I guess I don't know enough about
transformer design to understand why the shield would attenuate differential
noise.  I can certainly see how it would reduce common mode coupling at high
frequencies, since the grounded shield will reduce the inter-winding
capacitance.

Do you know of some typical applications for this type of "isolation"
transformer?  There must be enough demand for them, since Tripp-Lite and a
few other manufacturers offer them as a catalog item.

In the mean time, I plan to modify the wiring as I described previously to
obtain a floating, ungrounded AC supply.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848