Brian -

>From what I can glean from your message, the equipment is
Class 1, but the secondaries do not rely on earthing for
SELV reliability (hence, the Reinforced Insulation EST
value). However, there appears to be some functional
earthing of secondary circuits or there would be no problems
for your Y caps.

If the above is true, the Y caps must provide Reinforced
insulation.  Alternatively, there are allowances for two Y
caps in series you might be able to exploit (see 1.5.7.1).

If the above is not true, in that earthing of secondary
circuits is necessary to maintain compliance with SELV
requirements, you should not need to perform an EST at
Reinforced values.  Basic Insulation will do, eliminating
issue for the Y caps.

Irrespective of these alternatives, the implication of only
needing Basic Insulation for the Y cap and Reinforced
Insulation for the purposes of your primary to secondary EST
is that you should be able to completely disconnect the Y
cap and leave it dangling, without connecting the Y cap at
all.

Challenge the test house engineer for a solid engineering
rationale.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager
Sanmina-SCI Homologation Services
San Jose, CA
peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web
at:
    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/