All
I have a question regarding interpretation of section 6.10.2 Fitting of
non-detachable MAINS supply cords
in EN 61010-1:2001.

Cord anchorages shall meet the following requirements
a)...d)

e) A compression bushing shall not be used as a cord anchorage unless it has
provision for
   clamping all types and sizes of MAINS supply cords which meet the
requirements of 6.10.1
   and are suitable for connection to the TERMINALS provided, or the bushing
has been
   designed to terminate a screened MAINS supply cord.

f)...

I would interpet this as follows:
If the bush has been designed to accept a screened cable then it is ok for the
bush to accept only a specific cable type
which should be specified.
Otherwise the bush must be capable of accepting any mains cable which has the
neccessary voltage/current rating and will
be suitable for the terminals provided.

However in IEC61010-3-1 first edition 1997-07 conformity verification report
for IEC 61010-1
there is a quite different interpretation.

This document is basically a sample test report sheet for IEC61010-1. It is
based on earlier versions of 61010-1
with ammendments 1 and 2 added.

Here we have:
6.10.2.2 cord anchorages
compression bushing:
a) clamps all types and sizes of mains cords

and

b) is suitable:
                     1)  for connection to TERMINALS provided
              or
                     2) it is designed for screened mains cord.

I know that this document refers to an earlier version of 61010. However 1997
edition is still the only one listed on IEC website.
I do not currently have access to an earlier version of 61010-1 to look at, but
the interpretation above seems so anti- common sense
 that I am doubtful that it was faithful to the earlier version of the standard.

So bottom line is: is my understanding of the current requirements of EN61010-1
6.10.2 correct?

Secondly and out of curiosity does anyone know why IEC61010-1-3 1997 seems to
contradict this?

Thank in advance
Andy.

Andrew Wood
Land Instruments International
England.

This e-mail and its contents may be confidential, privileged and protected
by law. Access is only authorised by the intended recipient. The contents
of this e-mail may not be disclosed to, or used by, anyone other than the
intended recipient, or stored or copied in any medium. If you are not the
intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately.