Josh,

I agree with your message below.  It may not have been clear in my first email.

The FDA's Laser Notice 50 allows the use of EN 60825-1 for the "technical"
aspects of laser safety, such as:  determination of the laser classification,
how to label the device, what information to put in the manual...

However, as you state below, the FDA/CDRH still demands that manufacturers meet
the documentation,  reporting and tracking requirements (units tracked by
serial number, model number, reports to the CDRH...) listed in CFR 21, Part
1040.

Chris