numbers of Laser modules.  Where is this requirement
located? Does this apply to photodiodes also?

A)  Not in so few words.  The requirements imply the need
for a tracking method by way of a QC program, but nothing is
specifically identified.  Also, if there's a field incident,
traceability to a manufacturing lot would likely become an
issue, especially if the field incident is serious enough to
warrant a recall (you would, no doubt, prefer to recall only
some modules from the field, rather than all of them).  S/Ns
are the most common method I've seen used for this.

B) photodiodes are not controlled by the FDA; neither are
noncoherent LED sources

> 2.    I have a concern of what I need to know about Laser
safety but was afraid to ask (because it would cost more
than my compliance budget ($0) would allow without manager
approval). In other words (what is the second question?... I
am getting there.) I am looking to hire a consultant or take
a course. My supervisor wants me to create for him a
proposal answering the type of questions that support the
need to either attend a course or have a consultant educate
me or our professionals here so that he can decide whether
or not we need to hire a consultant, etc, etc. To keep this
short, I will paraphrase by saying that the type of
questions he would like to have answered is it worth the
expense to getting smart, as engineers and a manufacturer of
ITE, in the manufacturing of laser systems?

I believe it's worth "getting smart."  I recommend (you just
missed the last one):

International Laser Safety Conference
March 10-13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
http://www.laserinstitute.org/conferences/ilsc2003/index2003
.htm

> Here is my question...
> Is there information available that summarizes the
responsibilities to Laser Safety of Compliance, Design,
Manufacturing, and Test Engineers that manufacture laser
systems?

Refer to 21CFR and the CDRH web site for all of this.
You'll find copies of the initial and annual reports and
links to 21CFR.  Some of the information you want is in
early sections of Section 1040 (1040.01, .02) so don't
ignore them and only review 1040.10.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/