From: boconn...@t-yuden.com [mailto:boconn...@t-yuden.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 2:40 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: single fault conditions

Good People of PSTC

The environment being considered is a switching power supply. The technique
that safety agencies use to simulate a SFC on a power FET does not seem, IMHO,
to simulate the actual failure mode of the device. To wit: when the mosfet
fails short, it blows itself open; so the amount of current "sucked" out of
mains, e.g., the PFC FET, would probably open the component after a few input
cycles. But if I apply a direct mechanical short (source to drain), current is
being forced to flow until the fuse blows, or until some series trace or
component opens.

The Bad: some FETs fail very violently, and can actually be a fire hazard
and/or shock hazard in open-frame switchers; but if the FET itself does not
provide the short circuit, we will never know....

The Good: providing a "continuous" (mechanical) short will reveal if there are
other components in the current path that could be cause the unit to fail in
an unsafe mode. Although, according to QA records, these components have never
failed, so it can be both demonstrated by design equations and empirical
evidence that the SFC test does necessarily demonstrate anything relevant...

The Ugly: Safety testing results in design corrections that do not increase
product safety.

So would it be legitimate to over-drive the gate, forcing short circuit
current to flow through the FET, but not to apply a mechanical short across
the component? Experiences & comments are appreciated.

R/S,
Brian