Gert et al

Can anyone provide a spec for the ferrite.  For example, what is typically
used in a CISPR 16 radiated power clamp?  I am guessing when I say that I
believe these were originally a Philips type ferrite ring.  I have two of
these clamps (Luthi MDS21 and Anritsu) and have found them to be quite
different in terms of attenuation characteristics when used as loads in
61000-4-6 conducted immunity testing.

A short tutorial on the characteristics of ferrites as used in these clamps
would be nice.  Is anyone aware of a source, eg in a particular standard?

Best Regards

John Cronin

>From: "Gert Gremmen"
>To: "Gordon,Ian" ,
>Subject: RE: EN55022:1998 + A1:2000
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:54:00 +0100
>

>Hi Group,
>

>Proposals are on their way to specify
>both transfer attenuation (first) and
>input CM impedance of those clamps (later)
>The radiation properties of the exposed wire will
>vary widely depending on the CM load impedance.
>The attenuation characteristic is to isolate
>auxilary wire (and signal) from the test setup.
>
>Both will be published as an Amendment on CISPR 16
>document.
>A controllable impedance clamp system can be
>constructed using a current clamp system
>with variable load . (like current clamp/transformer)
>The first 1-5 rings can be loaded with a
>screened wire that terminates into a variable ( or fixed)
>impedance. Target CM impedance will probably be 150 Ohm
>to be transferred to the load.
>
>This has best impact in the lower frequency range.
>High loss ferrite will do better as low loss ferrite.
>Attenuation is just a matter of quantity of rings.
>Regards,
>
>Gert Gremmen
>Manager
>

>Ce-test, Qualified Testing
>ce marking and more ..
>EMCD LVD R&TTED MDD MD
>www.cetest.nl
>Electrical / Electronic Equipment

  _____

Stay in touch with absent friends. Download MSN Messenger
<http://g.msn.com/8HMMENUK/2731> for FREE!