Dave's question - Does this apply to in-house test equipment?

Hi Dave -  Good question (Please see attached). I'm sorry about the file
size but I took it from the Department of Labor web site several years ago
when this topic first came up. (It repeats about every 6 months if my memory
serves)

Beware of defining the situation incorrectly.

Between R&D - Prototyping - Manufacturing - customer site.

As you change location the "to NRTL or not to NRTL" conditions may change -
so .....

FIRST - THINK IT THROUGH VERY CAREFULLY - short term - long term. Document
your CONDITIONS of acceptable USE

However - the BEST and MOST RELEVANT people to ask are your Corporate
Insurers.

It would be little good meeting the local code to find that there is small
print in your corporate liability insurance leaves you with personal
liability for any failure - injury or death!!!!!!!

NEXT - is it legal? - If 'yes' then.....

 - ASK WHY AM I DOING THIS?
If you answer  "legal requirements" then think again.

If you answer  "to reduce liability" then think again

If the answer is "to prevent injury, etc" then consider what if things go
wrong - what protection do you would have in law.

"I thought it was OK"  is not good.

"I was only doing my job" or  "I'm not paid to do that"  are worst

Will there be any evidence (maybe even years after you have left the
company) you made any assessment?

Will there be any record of any changes to 'your' design?????

Even if you can avoid NRTL testing then you need to protect yourself - NOT
YOUR COMPANY - (people go to jail - companies don't).

You would be most wise to create a UL-Style Product Description AND UL style
test Report so that you have some sort of evidence of due diligence AND A
CONFIGURATION RECORD OF WHAT YOU TESTED.

It have seen too many modifications that have made products
d-a-n-g-e-r-o-u-s.

Whereas I believe that there is may be no single one right answer to your
question there will be, I am sure, plenty of wrong ones. Hopefully those
will not be posted here!!!

STEP OUTSIDE THE BOX

Try to think of 'compliance' not as PASS or  FAIL; but as a continuum from
DEPLORABLE  through ACCEPTABLE  to the UNATTAINABLE.

Whereas there is a basic legal need to reach "ACCEPTABLE" there is a
commercial need (6-sigma - zero-defect - fault-free : call it what you will)
that strives for better things. (Which is just as well because the standards
have become stricter and will continue to do so.)

My company has clients at all points along that continuum and work with them
to progress their knowledge and to show them how they can reduce their
personal and corporate risks.

Before someone shoots "COSTS" at me - please let me add - we find that the
cost (of training and implementation) is more than offset by cost saving
that result from the compliance improvement exercise.

There are free downloads under the eLearning section of our web site -
please help yourself.

Best regards

Gregg

Gregg Kervill DipIM, MIMgt, MIEEE