Another interpretation of the question may be "Where is the NRTL requirement
strictly enforced?"  (which is a much larger list than where it is
required.)  Where can you get away without a NRTL mark?  That depends in
part on the product, the market, and the distribution scheme.

Which brings this to mind- "Is a law a law if it is not enforced?"  (Many
politically controversial issues come to mind here.)

I have had many clients who actually want to waive tests based on the
argument "We've been selling these for years, and have had no complaints
yet."  It is not uncommon to be able to sell laboratory equipment, with a CE
mark only, all over the US.  Even some medical equipment (which truly
surprised me).

Basically, if the client (or reseller) doesn't care, and the electrical
inspector doesn't see it, it can be sold and used without a NRTL mark.

The same logic can be used in illicit drug trafficking as well.  (If I don't
get caught, I'm not breaking the law).

I am not suggesting that any product to be sold in the US not be "NRTL'ed",
but just expressing another viewpoint.  Besides the fact that my employer
makes money when we sell a NRTL job, my risk vs reward mindset tells me the
cash saved now (a few $k - not much reward) ain't worth the potential
injuries, deaths, and lawsuits (where the risk amount depends on your
company's assets).

NRTL it, and the question is moot.

Sam

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/