Alice,

I have found that inspectors have allowed a manufacturer to claim more
stringent or limited ratings than what is in the UL report.

In some products that are rated at 120v from line-to-neutral, but are truly
3-phase products, it has been customary that you can denote the operating
voltage as 120/208 vac, 3-phase, 4W+G.  However, you need to check and make
sure the voltage and number of phases are correctly detailed in the report.

If a product has been evaluated by a safety agency, I do not see why you would
not want to include the mark.  However, there are cases on UL products that
the mark is not required.  One example is that the device is too small to bare
the mark.  You need to check the marking requirements for that product.

When UL performs an IPI, the inspector needs to bring the report with them.
This should be complete and include all section, except for the test record.
I have often found this process strange as we do an inspection on the product
to the report prior to manufacturing to ensure that our report and product
structures are in agreement.  When the UL inspector brings the report, it is
very difficult to perform this check.  You can request a preliminary copy of
the report from your UL engineer.  While it is unofficial, it will help in the
process.

As for reports, I am not sure if there is a generally accepted method for
constructing them within the various agencies.  Every time I get a report from
a different engineer regardless of agency, they have differences.

Good luck.

Bryan Cole
Director of Engineering
Product Safety Officer
Emerson Network Power - Control Concepts
Binghamton, New York 13902
Phone: 607.724.1352 extension 238
Fax:     607.724.0153
E-mail: bryan.c...@control-concepts.com