Gary,

If soft-manuals are delivered with the product, a CD drive is needed. I
agree. This depends on the kind of product. If you sell modems , the user
who buys it certainly has a PC (with a CD drive) and a small note on a small
paper can instruct the user to read the CD first on by means of his PC.
Supplying the manual by the internet is something else, but even then, I do
not see any "safety" problems in short term when a modem is installed and
the user is instructed to read the manual ASAP after installation. In real
life, almost nobody, except some weird safety freaks, read manuals.

You say that you checked with UL and TUV. Do you consider their response as
an advise or as a requirement?
Some countries completely rely on so-called certification by agencies, but
many countries like Europe, rely on legislation and Self declaration (but
maybe this is another subject focussing on the different approach between
Europe and some other countries)

Regards,
Andre