Folks

As another ex-HP employee who left a long time ago but still has many fond
memories of what it was like (with the notable exception of one person -
which is why I left!) then I think that Richard's message unfortunately sums
up the attitude that now appears to prevail in some areas of both Agilent
and HP at senior level, i.e. "We don't care about the past or our company's
previously good reputation" [which was almost like IBM's, i.e."you never get
sacked for buying IBM kit".] "and we don't care about the ex-other side of
the business - its not our problem any more".

His message could have been put in more subtle terms, and would then
probably have summed up the feelings of most current "old-timers" in both
companies, i.e. something more customer friendly like "we'd like to help you
but you will have to try the other guys now".

On a general note, I personally don't think this aspect of the customer
relations (??) policies of either company reflects at ALL well on any of
their managements and is actively destroying much of the industry goodwill
that was built up over many years.

Wake up you guys in the HP & Agilent managements and marketing depts - a few
polite words and simple helpful actions keep customers happy - and keep them
as customers. Just ONE bad experience can lose you a customer for life!

Personal opinion only (of course).

John Allen