I read in !emc-pstc that David Sproul <david.spr...@alexanderlynn.co.uk>
wrote (in <lnepkcgaigehccdompbbieciciaa.david.spr...@alexanderlynn.co.uk
>) about 'Russian (GOST) equivalent standards.' on Tue, 22 Apr 2003:

>There are 2 standards for EMC that generally cover lighting products,
>namely EN 55015 for emissions and EN61547 for immunity. EN 61547 also
>includes in it's scope entertainment lighting control equipment for
>professional purpose.

Well, I suppose strictly they are 'included in' (mentioned) the Scope of
EN 61547:1995, but they are mentioned so as to be 'excluded from' it!
See the second dashed item on the second paragraph.

>It says that the standard applies to "control desks (but not dimmers or
>luminaires, to which EN 55014 or EN 55015 applies)"
>If it had said " to which EN 55014 or EN 55015 apply",  that would have said
>to me  that dimmers or luminaires are covered exclusively by these 2
>standards.  But because it said "applies" we chose to read that as "EN55103
>does not apply to dimmers for which the scope of EN 55015 fully covers all
>their EMC emissions protection requirements."

The comma after 'luminaires' indicates that EN 55014 or EN 55105 applies
to all dimmers and luminaires. You interpretation would be valid if
there were no comma.

'Applies' is grammatically correct, since the subject is singular.
'Apply' would not be grammatically correct. The wording indicates that
EITHER EN 55014 or EN 55015 applies. 'Apply' would be correct if it said
'and' instead of 'or'.

>  As far as we could see, EN
>55015 did not address all the particular protection requirements for
>emissions from our clients' equipment.

You are right, and that applies to all the CISPR product emission
standards, as the Cardiff business has highlighted.

>Nevertheless.  In the light of (no pun intended) the recent prosecution of a
>hairdryer manufacturer for not ensuring their equipment was compliant with
>all the EMC requirements for the intend working environment, we have
>recommended to our client that they carry out Conducted Emission tests
>between 9kHz and 150kHz, as required by EN55015, but excluded from
>EN55103-1.

Since those are likely to be the most troublesome, your advice is wise.

>In this way we are now confident that our clients equipment now meets the
>protection requirements for the environment in which it is designed to work.
>
>I look forward (I think) to your comments,

Well, I hope you find them helpful, if not necessarily pleasing.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!