This seems to be a problem of semantics. In the case of a fuse, a "failure"
is a success - the fuse succeeded in protecting the circuit (neglecting the
cases where the fuse failed to do its job, discussed elsewhere).

I clearly recall some ads for Timken Steel in the 1960s which discussed the
successful "failure" of a mechanical "fuse", a device that would restrain
jets on the deck of an aircraft carrier until the engine thrust and
catapult force built up sufficiently for a safe launch, at which point the
device broke.

The problem is that in many cases when a metal part breaks, it is indeed a
failure. The same language gets carried across to cases where breakage is
the desired result, as in the case of the mechanical "fuse" where its
breaking is an indication things going well.

In the case of fuse operation, things are not going well. There is some
problem. The blown fuse is associated with a true failure. So perhaps there
is some guilt by association, even though the fuse is the (desired) victim
of the true failure.

I like the term "blown fuse". Though perhaps it is not as exact a
descrition as one would like, it is broadly understood, and is not
necessarily associated with failure or a "bad" fuse.

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA  USA