Doug,
The ony experience I ever had with "bad" fuses blowing prematurely
was a soldered-in picofuse laying across a heavy copper trace on a
PCB. This trace was retaining enough heat after soldering to
weaken the fuse, causing premature failure in the field. Raising the
body of the fuse off the board solved the problem.

Incidently, the problem was caught early through statistical analysis
of field returns.

Scott Lacey

P.S.: It is well known in the automotive field that the old glass tube
fuses often failed prematurely due to repeated stress and vibration.
The newer blade type fuses are far more reliable.