Doug,

Linguistically, how can an inanimate object such as a fuse be "good" or
"bad"?  Can it also be "angelic" or "evil"?

I may be able to train a dog by telling it that it is a "good boy" when it
does what I want it to do (plus offer a suitable reward, of course) or
prevent it from not doing what I want by telling it that it is a "bad boy"
at the right moment.  However, as far as I know, it is not possible to
improve the reliability of a series of fuses by getting hold of each fuse
that has blown and telling it that it has been a "bad boy" - even if you
also tell all the fuses that haven't blown that they also "good boys".
Perhaps it is necessary to catch the fuse in the act of going "bad" (e.g.
blowing when its specification says it shouldn't?).

It seems to that others in this forum have many people have anecdotes
regarding incorrect collection of the fuse in the first case.  A couple of
other common design drop-offs I would like to mention include failure to
select a fuse with an adequate prospective fault current (i.e. selecting a
5x20 mm glass fuse - rated at Isc=35A max and using it in a mains circuit
where the prospective fault is in the order of 1kA) and 'forgetting' to
de-rate the fuse for use in a high ambient temperature (although this has
already be mentioned re. pico-fuses).

Not in this forum, but I have been informed by other reliable sources that
it is possible to purchase counterfeited products that may look as though
they come from a reputable manufacturer, but in fact do not.  Certainly, the
UK has had to withdraw mains plugs that were inadequate and I have also
heard from reputable sources of high rupture capacity fuses that do not
contain and sand and where the fusing element is of the wrong type and
configuration of metal - meaning that they could explode if subjected to the
prospective fault current that such fuses are supposed to handle.  It could
be that the faulty components that John Woodgate mentioned fall into this
category.

So, we have fuses that do what they are intended to do and go open circuit
when an over-current is passed through them.  Such components are well
behaved; good fuse, good designer.

We have fuses that behave as their manufacturer said they would, but
unfortunately the designer selected the part incorrectly; good fuse, bad
designer.

We have fuses that do not behave as expected because they are not purchased
>from the expected manufacture; bad fuse, good designer, {naughty purchasing
dept?}

We have fuses that fail due to excessive vibration {but are the fuses
specified to operate under those conditions?}; possibly naughty fuse,
possibly naughty designer.

Oh dear, I've fallen into the trap of ascribing fuses with some kind of
will.  Oh well, at least I'm not alone...

Richard Hughes

Safety Answers Ltd.