From: richhug...@aol.com [mailto:richhug...@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 8:15 PM
To: ri...@sdd.hp.com; gr...@test4safety.com
Cc: bar...@melbpc.org.au; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: re: Safety testing after equipment repair

Rich, Gregg,

Gregg, your memory is slipping - clearly you have been away from the UK for
too long, or you're enjoying the American wine too much!  The referenced
document is "The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989" and they were
implemented as a Statutory Instrument under the "Health and Safety at Work
etc. Act 1973".  The former piece of UK legislation has kept many a UK
electrician in gainful employment over the years. It is also why, if you
come to the UK, you often see paper labels saying 'tested for safety' or the
like on mains powered products.

Within the UK trade association for IT Equipment (EEA it was at the time) we
developed a set of Guidelines to enable customers to both meet the
requirements of the Electricity at Work Regulations and not damage equipment
too much.  We did not recommend repeated dielectric withstand testing
because this could lead to premature damage to insulation, as has been
pointed out already.  For earth bond test we suggested that only a low
current would normally be required because the equipment would have been
type tested at a higher current anyway and the intention of these
Regulations is to show up deterioration of products in the workplace caused
by normal wear and tear.

We did recommend that insulation resistance tests be conducted: we also
recognised that the insulation resistance test would produce values far
higher than those previously contained within IEC 380 (2 Mohms for Basic and
5 Mohms for Reinforced if memory serves) and so we recommended that
successive readings be recorded so that any downward 'jumps' in resistance
could be investigated further.  Of course, if you try and compare readings
>from a cold, dry, winter day to a hot and humid summer day then that is
going to give variability, as will different test equipment and a whole
range of other variables.  Still, it beats degrading the equipment's
insulation.  Since then EA became FEI who are now called 'Intellect'.  Space
for comments here...

The EEA worked with the IEE and I believe that the IEE Guidelines are still
available, for a fee. See http://www.iee.org/Publish/

Within the EEA we did not see much point in measuring leakage current (now
called protective conductor current in IEC 60990) since the major component
of such current for IT equipment will be due to RFI capacitors.  Of course,
if you can find some inexpensive test equipment that is able to provide an
accurate measurement of the dc component then that's another matter...

Of course, if you really wanted to be fancy then you could conduct a partial
discharge test.  However, most repair shops are not likely to have such kit
sitting around.

Regards,

Richard Hughes
Safety Answers Ltd