Hi John:

>   >    My last (3) employers have required all repaired or modified units to
be
>   >    "hi-potted". If a unit has been repaired, then the cover was removed,
and
>   >    the unit is no longer "controlled" by the oroginal production hi-pot.
>   >

>   I think this is too stringent. Repeated hi-pot tests must be
>   *minimised*, because of the possibility of progressive degradation of
>   insulation.

Yes, indeed, repeated hi-pot tests must be minimized.

However, significant degradation of modern insulations
at these low voltages and durations is doubtful for the
lifetime of the equipment.

Some years ago, I undertook a test to determine when
an insulation would fail if subjected to a continuous
hi-pot voltage.  I connected several units to the hi-pot
voltage for 8 hours/day.  The units started failing
after about 10 days.  That would be about 48,000 minutes.

So, we can say that we should probably not exceed 1/1000th
of 48,000 minutes, 48 minutes, of hi-pot test time for
the equipment lifetime.  That would be 48 1-minute hi-pot
tests.  I don't believe any equipment would be so tested.

Now, the transients are only 50 microseconds.  1.2 million
transients would comprise one minute of degradation.  As
I recall, an industrial site would incur 5-10 such
transients per day.  That means, about 120,000 days for
an accumulation of 1 minute of overvoltage.  That's over
300 years.

While repeated hi-pot tests must be minimized, the
degradation due to repeated hi-pot tests is not likely
to have an effect for the lifetime of the equipment.

Best regards,
Rich