John,

What you highlight is one of the differences between traditional ICT
equipment and traditional radio equipment.  ICT equipment tends to use
switch mode power supplies where any inter-winding screen is connected to
the neutral for EMC purposes.  From what you say, radio equipment tends to
use 50 Hz transformers where connection to PE has the benefits you outline.

Please do not fall into the trap of thinking that Notes contain
requirements, they should not and in this case do not.

There is a general requirement that any Protective Earth path must
'out-live' the over-current device in the supply line, clause 2.6 of IEC
60950-1 has lots of requirements on various aspects of this.  The note you
are referring to in C.2 is just a reminder of these requirements.  It
particularly applies to foils that may be much thinner than the adjacent
primary winding (otherwise the transformer would be difficult to make) since
it is important that any short from winding to screen causes the up-stream
fuse to blow rather than causing the screen to locally melt.  There is
another difficulty with foil screens in that the transformer manufacturers
sometimes add insulating tape over the top and bottom of the screen (for
manufacturing reasons) which then means that the creepage path is
effectively longer from primary to PE than it is from primary to secondary.
Presumably, the wire screens you refer to in radio equipment are simply bare
wire (not enamelled?)

I'll certainly take your word for what is common practice in the radio
industry, but when it comes to safety I'll check it out for myself.

Over and out,

Richard Hughes
Safety Answers Ltd.