From: douglas_beckw...@mitel.com [mailto:douglas_beckw...@mitel.com]
Sent: June 26, 2003 8:45 AM
To: Peter Horvat
Cc: 'emc-p...@ieee.org'; owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Dielectric withstand voltage for power supplies

Hello Peter
PC power supplies are Class I devices. By definition in EN60950  clause
1.2.4.1 the power supply only requires basic insulation between Primary and
earth, primary and secondary, and must be provided with a protective earth.
The basic insulation + protective earth provides the two levels of
protection for the user. The dielectric strength requirements are 1500Vac
for basic,  and 3000Vac for reinforced. Class 1 power supplies only require
1500Vac (2121VDC)(basic insulation). In your case, this is not a problem,
the user has 2 levels of protection. The problem becomes more complicated
if you are providing connection to the telecommunications network in Norway
and Sweden. There are supplies on the market that provide reinforced
between primary and secondary, but they are usually more expensive.

Regards

Doug Beckwith

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          Peter Horvat           |
|        |          <peter...@cae.com>     |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          owner-emc-pstc@majordom|
|        |          o.ieee.org             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          06/26/03 09:36 AM      |
|        |          Please respond to Peter|
|        |          Horvat                 |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->

-------------------------------|

  |      To:     "'emc-p...@ieee.org'" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
|
  |      cc:
|
  |      Subject:     Dielectric withstand voltage for power supplies

-------------------------------|

Hi,

Can anyone explain the electrical strength requirements for PC power
supplies (input/output)  to comply with EN60950.  Does basic insulation or
reinforced insulation apply?  Particularly in the case that the PC
peripherals and male D-sub connectors (that can come in contact with users)
are only basic insulated PS suitable.

I found that most power supplies available on the market are only tested at
1500VAC between in/out.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Peter Horvat
CAE Inc.