From: Price, Ed
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 8:19 AM
To: 'EMC-PSTC List'
Subject: Surge Suppressors on a UPS

Hi Group!

Last Friday, I got ambushed in a meeting. I hate it when that happens!

A question was asked about whether it's OK to put a surge suppressor on the
output of a UPS that is supplying power to some expensive equipment. I opined
that I didn't think it should be necessary, but that it also shouldn't hurt
anything either. So then somebody asks me why all the UPS manufacturer's sites
say not to use a surge suppressor. I expertly reply that gosh, I don't know,
but I'll take a look.

The next question nails me again. "Are there any standards for UPS output
power quality?" Uh, well, I'll look into that too.

Now, the market is light industrial, USA, but are there any applicable EN
standards also?

Just for some background, here's a typical entry from Tripp-Lite's FAQ list
for UPS's (not to pick on Tripp-Lite; they just said it most succinctly of
several sites I looked at):

http://www.tripplite.com/support/faq/tech_ups.cfm
Can I plug a surge suppressor or extension cord into my UPS?
No. Using an extension cord will void your equipment coverage warranty, as all
equipment must be plugged directly into the UPS. Tripp Lite does not recommend
plugging a surge protector into a battery backup outlet of a UPS either as
this can overload it. Also, when some UPS systems switch to battery power they
will output a waveform that a surge suppressor may see as a surge and
short-circuit the UPS. Again, this setup will void the equipment coverage
warranty.

Now this is getting to be a big can of worms! What do they mean by "some UPS"?
Is there one kind that does, and another kind that doesn't; and how do you
know which is which? And if some UPS will create a voltage transient (is that
what they mean?) sufficient to trigger a surge suppressor, then why is it OK
to let the UPS apply that transient to my "protected" equipment? All this talk
about uninterrupted power isn't worth anything if the UPS kills my equipment
when it switches to battery power mode.

And who's fault is this? I mean, a surge suppressor is pretty dumb; it just
sits there waiting for the voltage to go over a certain level and then it
conducts. What's this about the surge suppressor "may see" something as a
surge? That's saying the surge suppressor could mis-interpret the waveform it
sees. If the surge suppressor is conducting, then I think the UPS has just
done something very naughty.

I also don't understand the prohibition of an extension cord. Maybe this is a
legal issue, as I can't see any valid safety or regulation issues here. We
regularly put a UPS in the bottom of a rack system, and then wire a stripline
outlet set for the height of the rack. Isn't that the electrical equivalent of
an extension cord? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

I'm replying to my own post because, so far, my question has not really been
answered.

It HAS generated a really large volume of private emails expressing concern
about things like what happens when you use a UPS to power equipment with
built-in surge suppression. Or questions about just what are these "switching
event waveforms" that a surge suppressor might want to suppress, and why
should they be allowed to be applied to equipment without surge suppressors
(equipment designed with the assumption that the UPS is protecting it from the
public mains).

It looks like racking and stacking a UPS, with a power distribution strip (the
moral equivalent of an extension cord?) feeding a group of discrete
electronics boxes (most of which have built-in filters and suppressors) is
quite common. Yet UPS manufacturers seem to be saying that this bad practice
and will even void the UPS warranty.

So far, all comments have been from USERS of a UPS. I would like to hear from
the other side, the UPS designers. (Privately if you must, but I would like to
be able to later post unattributed answers.)

Thanks again!

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com         WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty