I don't believe there are any power quality requirements imposed on
inverters except those specified by buyers (in the USA, anyway). You can
still buy square-wave inverters, after all, and the "modified sine wave"
could be called "Chock Fulla Harmonic" power. Harmful interference is a
limitation, but not one I'd expect manufacturers to be eager to fix,
except, perhaps, to refund the purchase price. (Who's fixing the zillion
SP's plugged into our toys?)

And that warranty opens a whole _barrel_ of worms. Does user equipment with
an integral surge suppressor void the warranty? The consumer doesn't know
it's there, either. I'd imagine state attorneys general would have things
to say about implied warranty of serviceability, if this came to their
attention in a sufficiently egregious way. Passengers would sure hesitate
to get on a liner whose lifeboats were described so unconfidently.

As for plugging all equipment directly onto the inverter, that's
unrealistic. I install an inverter in or on the battery compartment, in
accordance with manufacturer recommendations, to minimize DC voltage drop.
The inverter is connected to an AC distribution panel (which includes surge
suppressors and filters). Then equipment I want to run, analyzer,
receivers, signal generators, whatever., plugs into that. An IEC line cord
won't even _reach_ the battery compartment where the inverter is installed.

And a UPS that generates transients enough to fire suppressors, transients
>from which users ARE FORBIDDEN TO PROTECT EQUIPMENT, seems to me one to
avoid. Could be, such warranties will end up costing vendors more than
they'd expected.

Then too, a good corporate counsel would point to the hundreds of
warranties honored in spite of extension cords and surge suppressors, and
convince a trial judge that state implied warranty, and vendor's existing
warranty performance, had voided those restrictions historically, and
presently.

Cortland