In a message dated 9/5/2003, Alex McNeil writes:

I have started an Approvals matrix for Europe, North America and Australasia
for typical low power ITE office products. I would be extremely grateful if
those experts amongst you could comment on the validity and indeed add to it.

Hi Alex:

Just a technicality, but TBR 21 is no longer a regulatory requirement for
analog PSTN equipment in the EU.  It was formally withdrawn on April 8, 2000
when the RTTE directive was adopted.  Under the RTTE directive, analog PSTN
products are only subject to the applicable safety and EMC requirements.

Many manufacturers have been uncomfortable with having no regulations
whatsoever for the parameters formerly covered by TBR 21, so they have
continued to self-impose TBR 21 compliance.  However, TBR 21 has no regulatory
significance.

You may be interested to know that last month ETSI issued an updated document
that is intended to replace TBR 21 as an "advisory" standard.  The document
number is TS 103 021, and it is available for download on the ETSI site (in
three parts).  In this document, some of the TBR 21 requirements have been
revised and some new requirements have been added.  Thus, if you want to show
an "advisory" standard in your matrix, you should probably list TS 103 021
instead of TBR 21.

The current analog PSTN spec for Australia is AS/ACIF S002:2001.  For New
Zealand the current spec is PTC 200 (1997).

The safety requirements for all of the countries in your chart are based on
IEC 60950, but each country has their own version with its own name.  In
Europe it is EN 60950, in the USA and Canada it is a binational standard often
referred to as UL/CSA 60950 (but technically UL 60950 and CAN/CSA-C22.2 No.
60950-00), and in Australia I believe it is (finally) AS/NZS 60950.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848