I read in !emc-pstc that Sam Wismer <swis...@acstestlab.com> wrote (in
<001001c38e60$9e3df110$0901000a@SAMW>) about 'Luggage Loader' on Thu, 9
Oct 2003:

>    1)  What Directive?

Check whether the Automotive Directive applies - it probably doesn't. If
it doesn't, then the EMC Directive applies. The Low Voltage Directive
may apply, depending on the battery voltage. The Machinery Directive
might apply: it may depend on any mechanical handling features on the
vehicle.

>    2)  What is the conformity process(e.g. new approach, TCF)?

Since EN 12895 exists, New Approach seems relevant: if not, the
requirements would be in the Directive, not an EN.

>    3)  Client requests testing to EN 12895 which seems appropriate,
>    but is there anything else?

If the EN covers emissions and immunity, another matter is electrical
safety.

>    4)  This thing is too large for our chamber for radiated immunity
>    testing.  In this month's Conformity there is an Article written by
>    Bruce Fagley about testing large industrial
>                                                systems.  Granted the
>    scope of the article was in-situ testing not "this thing is too big
>    for my chamber".  However, in the article the author discusses how
>    large systems are tested are tested outdoors for IEC 1000-4-3.  My
>    question is, is this method allowed only for in-situ testing, or
>    can it be used when the EUT is so large that it cannot fit in the
>    chamber?

You probably can't do that, because your radiation source would breach
spectrum management regulations. You may well need to go to a test house
which has a big chamber.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!