The reason for height-scanning is that there are unavoidable reflections from
the groundplane, and the only way to ensure that your measurement geometry is
not causing a deep null is to scan the height.  The reason that reflections
are unavoidable is that at 30MHz, absorber would have to be 2.5m deep which is
not practical or economic.k

At frequencies above 1 GHz, absorber is practical and economic, and I is easy
to put absorber on the ground to minimise the small effect that there might be
on your measurement due to ground reflections, and not bother with height
scanning.

Luke Turnbull

>>> "Wiz" <wizbc...@charter.net> 12/02/2004 15:36:41 >>>
Hello,

I have a need to make radiated measurements up to 40 GHz.  I uses a low
loss cable that gives me enough dynamic range up to 18GHz.  The cable is
very short and I have to move my measurements equipment out to the
antenna.  I know I need to get a pre-amp and mixer, but what do I do
about the cable loss?  I have called many places and I cannot find good
enough cable to measure to 40 GHz.  The other alternative is waveguides
as I understand.  Those would, I assume, be coupled directly to the
input of the mixer.  This does not allow for antenna height adjustments
form 1 to 4m as required.  I have seen other test reports where high
frequency data was taken where the antenna was held at about 1meter.  I
can understand this since emissions will likely be very directional at
those frequencies.  Is it acceptable to make measurements with the
receive antenna at 1 meter only?

Wiz

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/