We were reading a copy of the RoHS that we retrieved from:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/pdfs/finalrohs.pdf and found it to be
interesting. As a result we have questions, but first the key parts that
raise the questions:

In Article 4 / Prevention it says:

   1. Member States shall ensure that, from 1 July 2006, new
   electrical and electronic equipment put on the market does not
   contain lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated
   biphenyls (PBB) or polybrominated diphenyl ethers.........

   2. Paragraph 1 shall not apply to the applications listed in the Annex.

Then in the Annex it says:

   5. Lead in glass of cathode ray tubes, electronic components and
fluorescent tubes.

   7. - Lead in high melting temperature type solders (i.e. tin-lead solder
alloys containing more than 85 % lead),
   - lead in solders for servers, storage and storage array systems
(exemption granted until 2010),
   - lead in solders for network infrastructure equipment for switching,
signalling, transmission as well as network
management for telecommunication,
   - lead in electronic ceramic parts (e.g. piezoelectronic devices).

Most component companies are now working on getting the lead out, but the
way I read this they do not need to.  What is meant by electronic component?
Could I call our assemblies an "electronic component" and not have to change
anything?  Comments?  Thoughts?

Jim

Jim Bacher,  Senior Engineer
Paxar Americas, Inc.