I believe Mr. Townsend may have uncovered the underlying issue here.

The relaxation of emission limits was at least partially rationalized by the
lower energy consumption associated with fluorescent bulbs.  Lower energy
consumption means lower green house gases and lower pollution, which is a good
thing.  Except that in the process, we are polluting the AM band, which is a
bad thing.  But wait, the AM band (talk radio) is the font of all evil in the
world, so polluting it and decreasing its audience would be a good thing.

Rush, are you listening? It is all part of a vast left-wing conspiracy...

Just kidding.  But the underlying assertion is likely correct.  Lower energy
consumption trumped higher emissions.   It still seems like a monumentally bad
idea, and there seems no logic whatsoever in imposing conducted emission
controls 30 dB tighter on ITE than on the lighting in the home/office/factory
where that ITE is used.  I suspect that if this kind of lighting comes into
universal use, that there will eventually be a significant relaxation in ITE
conducted emission limits, and the AM band will become increasingly unusable.

I regret this trend and wish the AM broadcast industry would stand up for
their right to reach their audience.

Ken Javor