Now this is getting interesting.  If you arbitrarily reduce the VBW until
you see no time dependent amplitude variation, I think that leads to
non-repeatability.  That is, if my spectrum analyzer has a 1 Hz VBW, and
yours has a 10 Hz VBW, we could get different answers.  At least at one
time, there was a specified time interval over which the averaging was to
occur, which is another way of saying the the video bandwidth was specified.

I think the idea of average detection is to be able to get an accurate
assessment of the value of a cw or near cw (AM) signal, possibly in the
presence of broadband noise.  Considering that "pulsed cw" was considered by
the military to be a narrow-band signal, it would seem that the specific
averaging time period would be very important.  On the other hand,
MIL-STD-461 has for almost forty years required peak detection of all
signals, whether NB or BB.  Go figure.

I'm rambling on, but the point I am trying to make is that I believe average
detection should have an associated time constant, somehow relating to the
information content of the communication link protected by the radiated
emission limit in question.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas             emcp...@ptcnh.net