>>>scale set to LOG, <<<

OOPS, that should have been LINEAR !!!! Sorry.

Bob Richards <b...@toprudder.com> wrote:

Alex,

It is very common that the emissions plots will be made with the RBW and VBW
that you mentioned. The actual QP and AV measurements should have the
instrument set with the appropriate detector and bandwidths. The RBW should
always be 9kHz, and for the average measurement the VBW should be
significantly lower than the pulse repetition frequency, the detector should
be SAMPLE, scale set to LOG, etc. Also, the frequency span should be set to
zero for a compliance measurement. I've seen commercial automated software
that does a very poor job of this.

Bob Richards, NCT
Square D.

Alex McNeil <alex.mcn...@ingenico.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Guys,

I had a product tested that failed the conducted emissions. The switch mode
power supply was the problem. It runs at approx. 200KHz. The failed readings
were in the 150KHz to 600KHz band. The peaks were over the Avg and below the
QPk, so the Avg test was done. This resulted in the failures. However, after
close examination of the Test lab results, the printout showed IF BW 9KHz AND
AVG BW 30KHz below the graphical and tabulated results. The tests were done on
a SA. I have a receiver here and my test results for PK are the same as the
Test Lab but for the Avg my test results are significantly lower than the Test
House.

Is the problem that the Test House may have used “AVG BW 30KHz” and this
should have been “AVG BW 9KHz” the problem or am I missing something here?

Thank you for your time, it is always appreciated.

Kind Regards

ALEX

is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list.

Instructions: http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net

For policy questions, send mail to: