How would one go about accurately measuring low frequency fields say at 10
kHz where the far-field even at lambda/6 is 5000 meters?

Bob Heller
3M EMC Laboratory, 76-1-01
St. Paul, MN 55107-1208
Tel:  651- 778-6336
Fax:  651-778-6252
=========================

             "Price, Ed"
             <ED.PRICE@cubic.c
             Sent by:                  emc-p...@ieee.org
             owner-emc-pstc@ie                                          cc
             ee.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: ??? RE: ??? RE: Near field
             06/23/2005 11:24          H-field measurement.
             AM

EMCO (ETS) shows generic correction factors for the 6502 at:

http://www.ets-lindgren.com/productpage.cfm/model/6502/producttype/Antennas

They have a pair of charts for correcting the antenna output (in dBuV) to
units of electric field (dBuV/m) or magnetic field (dBuA/m).

I don't like the practice of a factor for converting loop output voltage
directly to dBuV/m, because it is making the assumption of far-field
conditions (377 ohms, and an H-field to E-field conversion of +51.5 dB).
The 6502 is a shielded loop, and responds to the H-field, no matter where
you place it. You can accurately derive the E-field from the H-field only
when you are confident of far-field conditions.

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com                   WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA USA
858-505-2780 (Voice)
858-505-1583 (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

Instructions: http://listserv.ieee.org/listserv/request/user-guide.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org