From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of
rehel...@mmm.com
Sent: 03/20/2006 1:07 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Calibration of test equipment

Mike, I have searched for this answer before. I have not found anything
anywhere that requires a specific time period between calibration. Just
manufacturers recommendations or whatever is agreed between you and your
calibration lab. The dangers of extending it beyond a year has been
documented previously.

Bob Heller
3M EMC Laboratory, 76-1-01
St. Paul, MN 55107-1208
Tel:  651- 778-6336
Fax:  651-778-6252
=========================

             "Mike Hopkins"
             <michael.hopkins@
             thermo.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  <emc-p...@ieee.org>
             emc-p...@ieee.org                                          cc
                                       "Tricia Rakiey"
                                       <tricia.rak...@thermo.com>
             03/16/2006 03:31                                      Subject
             PM                        Calibration of test equipment

It's my understanding that the MRA's require that test instruments used for
compliance to European Norms be calibrated by an accredited lab --- in the
US, NVLAP, A2LA, and (another?).

As a manfacturer, we recommend our products be calibrated yearly. ISO 17025
includes clause 5.10.4.4, which states: "The calibration certificate (or
calibration lable) shall not contain any recommendation on the calibration
interval except where this has been agreed with the customer. This
requirement may be superseded by legal regulations." ISO 17025 is, of
course, the basis of accreditation to NVLAP or A2LA and others...

My question to the group is: Is there some requirement under the MRA's or
European Norms that states equipment must be calibrated periodically, and
is "periodically" defined?? It seems to me allowing the customer to decide
on when calibration is due  (per ISO) can lead to no requirement for
calibrations at all, which in turn, puts the whole accreditation issue in
question... I find this hard to believe, but I haven't identified a
paragraph makes it clear..

Best Regards,

Michael Hopkins
Manager, Customer Technical Center
Process Instruments Division
Thermo Electron Corporation
One Lowell Research Center
Lowell, MA 01852
Tel: +1 978 275 0800 ext. 334
Mobile: +1 603 765 3736
michael.hopk...@thermo.com
www.thermo.com/esd

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: