All,

While I do not know of any specific requirement, I know that some companies
operate on the basis of having the equipment checked to confirm that it is "in
cal" before any adjustments are made.

If the equipment happens to be out-of-cal, then we know which functions and by
how much it is in error. This information is required to assess whether there
is a need to go back through the measurements it was used for, to decide if
repeats, recalls etc are required.

Adjustment / repair is carried out and then the equipment is calibrated.

If the equipment is in-cal on the first pass, then, depending on the equipment
and the need for routine adjustments the device is re-cal'ed or not.

If a particular piece of equipment has a history of being out-of-cal at the
time it is sent for calibration, then the calibration period is reduced.

Similarly, if a particular piece of equipment is always spot-on calibration,
then the calibration period is increased.

Generally, the aim is to keep the equipment in cal but needing a slight
adjustment to "centre" it.

Makers recommendations are significant and are usually followed until we have a
history to go by in order to extend or reduce the period.

The calibration process described is more expensive than the usual type of
process. However, if the equipment was significantly out of cal, then the task
it had been used of may have erroneous results. If this could lead to
significant costs / damages etc., it could be well worth the extra on the
calibration bill.

I hope I have described this adequately well.

Regards
Tim