Art wrote:

A real-world (not hypothetical) experience: I'm aware of products
shipped from Asia with UL markings present, prior to the receipt of
their "Authorization to ship" letter. The manufacturer's position was
that they were in warehouses, awaiting receipt of the "Authorization".
The warehouses, in fact, were containers on ships, headed for the U.S.
Obviously, this was a business decision (and a gamble that the
"Authorization" would be issued without requiring any modifications of
the product steaming in this direction). And, yes, the gamble paid off
:-)

Hello Art,

You are 100% correct.........With ever increasing time pressure to get
product to market the above seems to be common practice but it is not
authorized by UL, TUV or any Agency I have dealt with. Product built
before the Agency approval has been received should not be marked with
the Agency mark...The product might be built exactly the same as product
built after the approval but no Agency I know of would agree to such a
practice without a field inspection you alluded to.....While the risk
may be minimal, shipping preapproval product with the Agency mark, this
could also become a liability issue if one of the products are marked
and shipped before the approval has been received. Should this product
cause an issue in the field a sharp lawyer could use this to his
advantage in a liability case if they can verify the DOM was before the
Agency approval was received.............

Again I know it is done in practice but there is certainly a risk.....

Regards,

John