I can combine the automotive reference and the reference to people who
shouldn't be in the industry based on their lack of knowledge.

At one time I worked for a company where one of our electrical technician
was using our arc welder to fix a loose heat shield over his car's
catalytic converter.  Our lab manager told the technician to make sure he
was on a good ground for the welding.  The technician, who was lying under
the car at the time, responded "I am lying on the ground; how much closer
can I get."

Back on topic, I can state that American's understanding of "Earth" vs.
"Ground" depends on their background.  In my office, everybody is going to
know what "Earthed" means.  However, I have worked with electrical
contractors who's staff only knows the term "Grounded".  The terminology
used may need to be tailored to the intended audience in the United States.

On the other hand, if the person doesn't know the meaning of "Earthed",
they probably are not the type who is going to read the manual anyway.

Ted Eckert
American Power Conversion/MGE
http://www.apc.com/

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The writer
is not speaking in an official capacity for APC-MGE or Schneider Electric.
The speaker does not represent APC-MGE's or Schneider Electric's official
position on any matter.

             "Tarver, Peter"
             <peter.tarver@san
             mina-sci.com>                                              To
             Sent by:                  <emc-p...@ieee.org>
             emc-p...@ieee.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/29/2008 02:16          RE: Protective Earthing
             PM

This is almost a nonissue, regardless of any alleged confusion for a
circuit reference, which seems very unlikely to occur.

If the product is deployed internationally, protective earth should be
used.  I'm not aware of anyone in the US or Canada who would misunderstand
this term, if were not called 'ground.'  If they do exist, they probably
shouldn't be working on the equipment in the first place.

If we're going to rely on the NEC and CEC, these refer to this as the
equipment grounding conductor, to differentiate it from the grounded supply
conductor (neutral), rather than just as 'ground.'

OT Tidbit:

The first place I encountered the term 'earth' in an electrical context,
was related to an automobile (an 1970 MG B), in describing the chassis
circuit reference as "negatively earthed."  The car didn't have a drag
chain and used the traditional nonconductive tires (oops, 'tyres'), so I
expect there was no such thing as a 'earthed' part on the whole thing.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
ptar...@ieee.org

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use
by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail message, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail message, and any attachments
thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the
original and any copies of this email and any prints thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS E-MAIL IS NOT
INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING.  Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law of
similar substance and effect, absent an express statement to the contrary
hereinabove, this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments hereto
are not intended to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a
contract and are not otherwise intended to bind the sender, Sanmina-SCI
Corporation (or any of its subsidiaries), or any other person or entity.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com