In message
<of069c78e9.ebe4325a-on8025740f.004c2169-8025740f.004d8...@elekta.com>,
dated Mon, 17 Mar 2008, chris.dup...@elekta.com writes:

>So how many levels of fault should we take into account in order to
>fulfil the Risk Analysis requirements?

This is one of those questions that no-one wants to answer. So I'll try.

The reason that there isn't any 'official' answer is that with more than
one simultaneous fault, chosen from all possible faults, nothing could
ever be considered 'safe'. So, what you have to do is consider the
consequences. If a fault creates a 'high risk' condition, then take care
that its probability is very low. This is the case for the protective
conductor connection of Class I equipment.

However, it is a principle of standardization that specification of
performance is much preferred to specifying design or construction. IEC
60335 has specified construction in this respect for a very long time,
probably since before the above principle was recognized. Also, many
household appliances generate their own vibration, which other products
don't, so the need for a secure fixing is particularly great.

Yet again, household appliances are still repairable items, so the
service technician should not be easily able to forget to replace
protective conductor connections. But ICT and multimedia equipment are
less likely to be repaired these days, and technician training is better
anyway, so the probability of an omitted connection is less.
For very important information, please turn over.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com