I need to clean some metallic mating surfaces and since I have to use this
same equipment in the future, I don’t want to just lightly sand the surfaces
if I can help it. I suppose like gold contact I might be able to use the old
eraser trick but I would like to chemically clean the surfaces to remove any
coating contamination or oxidation without taking off the coating or the
underlying metal plating – any body got a favorite cleaner?

I have a support PC made by one of the biggie manufacturers that I desperately
need to meet class B emissions because it is the only one I have to drive the
test item. Unfortunately it has what I’m sure the Mechanical Engineer thinks
is a robust solution for the I/O panel for user added cards. From a brand new
one time user perspective it is pretty slick, no tools need, just snap a
couple of plastic fulcrums to different position to remove or add a card. The
card face mates into a very delicate little lace interface of punched tin
plated “?” gasket that conforms at several points along the I/O card face
panel and the inside of the computer housing. The fit happens exactly once as
far as I can tell. It mostly crushes and distorts and just leaves a cap
running between the I/O card faceplate and the computer chassis.

I’ll give them style points – but I’m going to whack somebody over the
head for the execution.

(I think I hear a whaaaa-mbulance in the distance)

Gary McInturff

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>