The problem with the VDR being rated for a level 3 surge, which is
significantly greater than the typical test V for BI, is that the VDR will
typically start conducting long before required test voltage is reached.

Di-electric withstand and surge immunity are very different animals.

I saw a VDR from line to chassis in a competitor's component P/S - never
understood the reason for this construction.

Is the VDR rating for 62368 conformity a working voltage or surge rating ?

Brian

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>