As I previously mentioned, the hi-pot test is for
SOLID insulation.

Presumably, the insulation between the side panels
and the mains circuits is air, or air in series
with solid insulation.  So, it should be valid to
test without the side panels.

Merry Christmas!
Rich

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/