Whilst I've seen the original article (Journal of the American Medical
Association), unfortunately I can't circulate it without breaking our
subscription license agreement.

The investigation was apparently commissioned by the Dutch Ministry of Health.

Standard they refer to is -

American National Standard Recommended Practice for On-site Ad Hoc Test Method
for Estimating Radiated Electromagnetic Immunity of Medical Devices to
Specific Radio-frequency Transmitters (Standard C63.18). (AAMI:/ IEEE; 1997).

(not a rigorous EMC product test standard - but rather a suggested basic
methodology for equipment users to investigate possible EMI in a consistent
way)

The project was apparently driven by the search for a system to monitor blood
products, which influenced their choice of RFID systems to test, as follows -

"The selection of 2 RFID systems tested in this study was based on 3
characteristics: (1) the systems needed to comply with RFID standards set by
the European Telecommunications Standards Institute; (2) radio frequencies
needed to fall within the most common internationally used RFID frequency
bands and (3) performance needed to fulfill the operational requirements of
the project including availability of temperature sensitive RFID tags,
low-cost tags suitable for disposable materials, contemporary integration with
the local communications network, and location accuracy within a health care
facility."

Tests were performed in a 1-patient room, free of reflective objects, based
upon methodology in the standard above.

Ged Dean
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust