Don,

I agree completely with the additional checks that you perform.

In my opinion, performing the calibration at 18v/m instead of 10v/m is not a
good idea. I understand and agree with the intent, but in practice it can
cause problems.

In a chamber that does not perform well, you may be overdriving the amp at
some probe positions (nulls) just trying to level to 18v/m. This can cause
harmonics that can affect the probe readings and give erroneous field
uniformity information. I have seen harmonics affect the probe readings when
trying to calibrate below 80 MHz with bi-log type antennas, where the antenna
factor really stinks at the lower frequencies.

Even though the standard says what it says, I think it is better to calibrate
at a lower level so as to make the harmonics a non-issue, make the
calculations for the new drive levels (to include the 80% peak power) then
perform the checks you describe. You also need to peform the radiated
harmonics check as described in the standard. I would then feel much more
comfortable defending the results.

Bob Richards, NCT