Ged, I think this is one of those situations where the answer is somewhere in
between. Yes registration can take less than a second. There are also lots of
processes, like receiving a text message, that can take longer. The
information is bursted and there is a lot of effort to minimize transmission
length and power level to reduce exposure and extend battery life. As you
observed it's still in seconds.

Fred Townsend

Dean Gerard (Medical Physics) wrote:

        Is it really only milliseconds?  When my phone is in my desk drawer, or
jacket pocket on the back of my chair, I am aware that it is periodically
active because of interference it generates on the speakers of my PC. These
bursts of audible interference are brief - but measurable in seconds rather
than milliseconds.

        Ged Dean