Where does the term, “Redundant Captive Device” come from?

The device which has the wire nuts (twist-on wire connectors) is a water
chiller used as a peripheral for a piece of laboratory equipment to be sold
internationally.  The manufacturer is not used to making laboratory equipment,
but industrial cooling devices in the US where it maybe acceptable to use wire
nuts.

Looking at the IEC/EN 61010-1 standard I cannot see any specific requirement
for redundant captive device or redundant connection.  I do see a statement in
10.5.3b regarding “insulation which supports the TERMINALS shall be made of
material that will not soften” due to dissipated heat from current through
the connection.  I assume that if the plastic cap of a wire nut gets hot from
current passing through the connection and softens then the connection will
become loose.  Some wire nuts are all plastic and the larger ones have a
copper spring inside. In either case, it is the plastic that secures the
connection.

On a crimp type connection (such as a spade lug or crimp splice), even though
they have a plastic case, the electrical connection is made from a metal part
which is not likely to soften.

It would be nice if there was a clear statement (chapter and verse)
documenting if wire nuts can be used in Europe or not or some kind of
interpretation letter.

The Other Brian