Thanks so much for your useful advice!!

Scott

From: John Woodgate [mailto:j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 12:10 AM
To: Scott Xe
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: UK plug & sockets etc. (Safety) regulations

In message <492971e7.054c6e0a.1c37.fffff...@mx.google.com>, dated Sun,
23 Nov 2008, Scott Xe <scott...@gmail.com> writes:

>That is to say the appliances including those for travelling must be
>fitted with either a standard plug or a conversion plug if with a
>non-UK plug on the mains cord.  The provision of a travel adapter
>instead of the conversion plug (that is common arrangement for
>travelling products like hairdryers, etc., on the  market) is
>prohibited in the UK.

You are now asking rather different questions, not about travel adapters
themselves but about appliances sold WITH an adapter.

Yes, what you wrote above is correct. You could, however, supply a
travel adapter for use outside UK, AS WELL as fitting the appliance with
UK plug or a conversion plug.

>It seems the product for travelling must be fitted with a standard UK
>plug

or a conversion plug

>and comes with a travel adapter (UK socket -> Euro plug).

That is allowed, provided the product's instructions state that the
adapter is for use outside the UK.

> This arrangement meets the UK law.  For the same product in Germany,
>it has to be fitted with a Euro plug and a travel adapter (Euro socket
>-> UK plug).  Free movement of goods within EU countries is not
>achievable yet.

That is correct; there are differences in infrastructure between
different countries that cannot be changed within a reasonable time and
cost, and so will remain indefinitely. Wall sockets are one example.
Either we are causing global warming, in which case we may be able to stop
it,
or natural variation is causing it, and we probably can't stop it. You
choose!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>